Forgotten Path Magazine (Lt) interview


Hails, Odium! Welcome in the third issue of “Tales of the Morbid Butchers” fanzine! At first, thank you for supporting Hungarian bands in your magazine! How many interviews have you answered? Do you like answering interviews?
Hello Attila, thanks for this opportunity to be a part of “Tales of the Morbid Butchers”, as it’s really a pleasure to answer any questions, sent from a printed publication.



I’m not sure if we support Hungarian bands to the extent they are worth, hehe. Actually, I haven’t interviewed any bands from your country so far, and this mistake should be corrected in the nearest upcoming issues, I believe. But yes, we have reviewed some stuff from Hungary, that’s for sure. Kuth, Veér, Firn, Dér and Vérzivatar, or their respected labels have been the most active sending their promo stuff to our address. Though I must confess that there aren’t many bands from Hungary that I admire very much, still some of them seem rather promising and have released several attractive demos/albums as well.
I do not receive many requests for answering interviews. Probably so far I’ve done 4-6 of them, no more. The last time it was conduction for “Metal Horde Zine” from Portugal. Actually, it was done exactly one year ago, when I was finishing my duties with the 5th issue of “Forgotten Path Magazine”.

Let’s start with general questions. When did you start “Forgotten Path”? What was your main influence? Were you working before with any printed material?
The idea started circulating somewhere around the years of 2005-2006. At that time the situation with printed zines/magazines in Lithuania was almost (if not totally) equal to zero, so I felt a huge need to make something on my own. Up to that time I hadn’t had any experience with editing/writing with printed material, but I was rather active in other fields (bands/webzines). And actually, when one German band (nothing to hide here - it was Nyktalgia) refused to give an interview for the webzine that I was related to, that was a kick to my ass to start running a printed zine. So I’m not sure if you can name such experience as an influence, but definitely Nyktalgia crossed that line in my mind, hehe.
As you see, we started “Forgotten Path” from a total zero, having no experience in making printed zines. I have been always interested in Metal media and was ordering as much publications as I could. However, when preparing our first issue, it was more of “a need/wish to publish a zine” than any concrete plans or ideas how to do it. Probably it took no less than 3-4 years to find out and mature the vision of how “Forgotten Path” should look and be like.

I saw that there are a few guys behind the magazine. Name them! Why do you need other workers? Is there a democracy or you’re a dictator type? Is your approval needed to release an interview or everybody does what they want? Is there any conception?
I might be talking silently and friendly, but I’m rather a Führer of “Forgotten Path”, hehe.
Yes, there’s a bunch of people, who are working on the content of our zine. However, most of them help with translations, editing the texts, and similar stuff. Some other 2-3 comrades (I don’t think there’s a need to mention them, but they are rather well-known and active members of Lithuanian Metal scene in general...) help with interviews and reviews, but mostly I do not less than 70-80% of the whole content.
On the other hand, I would love if there were interested persons, who could conduct interviews, review albums, etc. I strongly believe that the bigger amount (or should I use the word “optimal” here?) of people contribute, the more interesting content can be prepared. Each person does his work in different way and even if you follow one direction at the same time, still, each interview will be made in specific way by each man. I’m sure that it is extremely hard for a solo person to prepare 10-20 interviews and hundreds of reviews. It’s possible physically, but I do not think that it will be very interesting to read it. So in that case, the help from outside is essential! I’m sure that “Forgotten Path” wasn’t the way it is now, if I didn’t get help from my comrades. So thanks for them!
On the other hand, it is really hard to keep the constant number of this personal. We are an underground publication and contribution from each person is done on volunteer desires. So I totally understand those, who do not have a need or a wish to continue that way, especially working with the deadlines, spending your expensive free time with the things that sometimes you do not like that much, etc. Yeah, it’s disappointing, but that’s how it works. Unfortunately, if some new blood won’t be shred into our team in the nearest future, I will be forced to prepare even a bigger part of the content on my own. Though I don’t see a problem with that either, hehe. 
What concerns the “Führer duties”, I’m the one, who decides what will be published in our magazine. Of course, we discuss and agree in advance who interviews what bands, who writes what articles/reviews, etc. But as I have said, my word is final!
Our conception? To name it shortly - Black Metal! First of all we interview bands, whose music we like a lot and who have a decent ideological core. Sure, sometimes it’s quite difficult to “guess” on that second aspect, but we usually do our best to examine the ideological line of the interviewed bands as much as possible. Therefore, I always give priority to real bands and not one-man or similar bedroom projects, as these days to play in a real full band is also some kind of a challenge...


You call “Forgotten Path” a magazine. I don’t like this name because it’s a mainstream thing and mainstream is about money. What do you think? What’s the difference between a fanzine and a magazine in your opinion? Do you even care about mainstream and underground? Is that important?
Actually, I have always considered my publication more as the zine, but others started calling it as the magazine (mostly due to its quality). On the other hand, does this change anything? I totally don’t agree with you that “magazine” is automatically linked with mainstream. The content is the thing, which should separate underground from the mainstream, if you wish so. If you publish a professionally printed publication, does this make it a mainstream one? No fucking way! For me personally any zine, which interviews well known (even in underground) bands is more mainstream than the one, which has good quality (glossy paper, maybe even colours), but chooses totally unknown bands.
Each editor has to decide on his own, how his zine/magazine should look like. I don’t mind any kind of editions - colourful, black/white, glossy or non-glossy paper, etc. The content has been always the most important part for me. But if you ask me, I prefer professionally printed zines/magazines in black and white colours. That’s why “Forgotten Path” looks the way it is. On the other hand, I have never considered such printing as the better way against xeroxed, shitty paper, etc. I will repeat once more - the content is what matters most of all, and it allows evaluating the publication by any other aspect.
By the way, some people also think that if any publication has many advertisements inside, then it is also very commercial. That’s another nonsense. I can talk from my position only, of course, but all the revenue that I receive from advertising, is used for one and only purpose - to cover the printing costs. If someone believes that “Forgotten Path” is a money bag, I can assure you that 99% of metalheads had already stopped publishing this zine, if they were in my shoes, hehe. Sure, I could choose another quality level - simple paper, copying instead of printing, etc., but I chose “Forgotten Path” to look as it looks today, as I believe this is the best fit for our publication. I will do my best to continue that way! Besides, who decided that underground does not deserve good quality? That’s the nonsense number three, hehe.

When was the first issue released? I know that the interviewed bands list is on your homepage, but name them here too! How long was the making of that issue? Is there any special story about the issue?
Our first issue was released in spring of 2007, and contained interviews with Woodtemple [Aut], Agalloch [Usa], Horna [Fin], Nocturnal Depression [Fra], Imperium Dekadenz [Ger], Godless Cruelty [Ger], Absonus Noctis [Usa], Nebular Mystic [Nor], Forest of Fog [Sui], Aaskereia [Ger], Mordhell [Pol], Nae’blis [Swe], Stutthof [Gre] and Andaja [Ltu]. To tell you the truth, I don’t remember too much about the whole preparing process, hehe, but these were the bands that I had been very keen on for the past several years at that time.
However, I remember very well the moment, when I took the zines from the printing house. Though the layout and printing quality was rather bad (as we had no experience with that, we used pictures of low resolution quality, etc.), but I was extremely happy and proud of what we have achieved at that time.
I also don’t think that there’s some kind of a special story regarding that first issue. I believe it took us around 1,5 years to prepare it, as for most of us (actually, only 4-5 people were working on it, if I remember correctly) it was the first experience in that field: the first interviewed bands, the first un-answered interviews, first problems with postal services while trading, etc. I guess every editor runs through the same troubles.

How do you choose the bands? Is that a quick thing or is that planned? For example I don’t really make plans, for me it’s spontaneous.
I know what you mean with that. For me it depends, actually. Yes, sometimes the bands are able to make a huge first impression and I can easily contact them straight-away. On the other hand, I had several cases with similar impressions, however after some time I totally lost my interest in those bands, as their music seemed absolutely weak and boring. So that first impression might be deceptive sometimes...
I usually make a huge list of the bands that interest me. I divide them by the origin of their country, and when the time comes to start working on the new issue (I actually do not have a need nor wish for preparing new interviews for about 3-4 months after the release of each new issue, cause I’m a little bit tired of them, hehe), I go through my list, listen to the bands again and again, and decide on the hordes that seem to be the most appropriate for me at that time. I usually do not choose more than 2-3 bands from the same country for one issue. However, as I have already mentioned, the main criterion for choosing the band is the power of their music and a strong ideological core.

If I am right the first issue (and every since that) was with professional printing. How many copies were made? Is that still available? Is that expensive to release a professional magazine in Lithuania? In Hungary it is expensive. Does the whole staff pay for that or you are the only one who pays?
Yes, each of our issue was, is and will be printed professionally, I have explained this choice in the previous answers. Also, each issue was printed in 500 copies and so far I don’t see a need to increase the amount (nor decrease it, actually). The 1st issue is the only one, which is sold-out. I still have enough copies of other issues. However, during several past years I managed to build-up a rather effective web of distributors, who superbly help me with distributing the zine in different parts of the world. In that way the number of copies in “my warehouse” (read it “my wardrobe”, hehe) is decreasing slowly and I hope that in the nearest future our 2nd and 5th (as well as others) issues will be sold-out as well.
I’m not sure, if it is expensive to print it professionally here in Lithuania (it depends with whom you compare it to). Yes, I am the only one covering all the costs, so in that way it might seem to be rather expensive. On the other hand, the distribution of the zine, as well as the income from advertising helps covering a huge part of the costs. However, up till now I usually had to put my personal extra resources as well, but hopefully this will change with the nearest issue. Believe me, no matter how much you like what you do and support the underground, it’s not very enjoyable to lose money for such a hobby every time. But it’s only my problem, not of the readers, so I do my best to keep that hot-line as efficient as possible.
By the way, I really know that to print similar zine (as mine) in United States or Germany is much more expensive than here in Lithuania. Some of the editors from North America were asking about the prices here, and I can tell you that they were rather interested to print their publications in Lithuania, and even considering the post-service costs, it would be cheaper to print them here, in the other part of the world...

The second issue was released a year later. There were much more interviews and about 300 reviews. Was that hard to collect that much material? Can you list the bands interviewed? How many copies were made? Is that available?
Actually, it was released two years later, in 2009. As I’ve said, it was also made in the quantity of 500 copies and I still have some of them left (though not that much). This issue contained interviews with Skyforger [Lat], 1349 [Nor], Impiety [Sin], Krater [Ger], Hekel [Ned], Livsnekad [Nor], Niroth [Gbr], Blood Stained Dusk [Usa], Argharus [Ltu], Pagan Heritage [Ned], Thyrgrim [Ger], Berserk [Esp], Besatt [Pol], Elhaz [Fra], Argus Megere [Rou], Abigor [Aut], Black Messiah [Ger], Bloodthirst [Pol], Fearbringer [Ita], Hellbox [Fin], Chthonic [Tai], Novembre [Ita], Paroxysmal Descent [Aus], Angantyr [Den] and Har Shatan [Ger]. I believe this is the biggest amount of interviewed bands for one issue that we have done so far.
Concerning the reviews... Well, I have to admit that at least I personally am very interested in new releases and listen to an enormous amount of them. So at that time I was reviewing everything that I could get my ear on. However, judging from today’s perspective, I believe I was looking for more quantity than quality thing at that time. And though the final result wasn’t that bad, I don’t think I will repeat it in the future.


Can you manage the next issue from the incomes of the prior issue? I don’t know how you cope with commercials, I don’t ask money for that. Of course I accept a promo package for the commercial and I write about that too. There are some ‘zines where you have to pay for your commercials. What’s your opinion about this?
I told you about covering my costs in the previous answers a little bit. I believe there is and will always be that “thin line” concerning advertising in underground zines. I personally do not see a problem if a printed zine takes money for advertisements. You are given the possibility and an option, it’s your choice to use it or not, right? I do that too, i.e. we sell the space for advertising. However, I have some “rules” in this field as well. First, I advertise other printed zines and magazines with pleasure and usually trade space in their respected publications for that. Next, I always support bands/labels of my comrades (especially local Lithuanian ones) giving them some free space as well. On the other hand, paid advertising is one of the main financial sources for me, which covers around 1/3 of printing costs. Besides, I was told at least several times that our ad rates are more than reasonable, which is a good thing to hear.
Up until now none of the previous issues was able to generate enough of finance to cover the costs of the upcoming issue. However, the 6th issue, which will be released in November 2014, will hopefully be the first, which won’t require any additional cash from my pocket. No matter how satisfying that sounds for me, I’m still not sure if I will be able to make that happen as the postal costs will increase this time due to the weight of the zine (it might, or actually, it will be the thickest issue so far!) and the increase post rates. But I hope everything goes smooth with that.

Is “Forgotten Path” well-known in Lithuania? How many can you sell in your country and how many for foreign orders? Didn’t you think about releasing that in Lithuanian? Is English common in your country?
Well, the scene in Lithuania is a rather small one (don’t forget our general population is just a little bit above 3.0 million), so I believe that “Forgotten Path” is (or should be) a known title. On the other hand, the flow of information today is enormous and almost uncontrollable, so it becomes more and more difficult to knock on the needed door, if you know what I mean. I also think that we pay enough of attention to promotion of our zine, so this allows following the rule - we orient towards the specific audience, so if you don’t know what “Forgotten Path” is, probably you are not worth reading it as well.
When our 1st issue was released, I sold the bigger part of the copies here in Lithuania. However, with every new issue the situation was getting worse and worse, and today I don’t sell more than twenty copies here anymore. But I don’t see it as the problem. It’s more like reality, you know. Besides, as the editor, you always want to spread your word as far as possible, so we concentrate on the distribution abroad more these days and it finally pays the dividends. At the moment I would say that around 5-6% of each issue is left here in Lithuania and other part goes to different corners of the world.
The younger generation of metalheads does not have any problem with English, I believe. However, some old buddies are not able to speak/read it. There were some thoughts to release “Forgotten Path” in Lithuanian language, or print half copies in Lithuanian and half in English, but it never was done that way for two reasons. First, the amount of work would increase at least three times. And second, there won’t ever be the demand for bigger amount of copies for Lithuanian audience (mostly due to the small scene fact). Besides, as I’ve said, we orient towards foreign readers, so to make and print it in English language seems rational and logical, I believe.

I have a copy of the third issue. I like the dark tones and the professional printing, but I also like the old-school cut & paste style. Do you like that? Do you edit and make up the pages? What program do you use? For order’s sake tell us all about this - and every important info!
Well, the only thing that you have to know is that all our issues (except for the 1st one) were professionally designed (I mean the layout) and printed. And that’s all info I can give you, because Kingas (the drummer of Luctus) is the only person, responsible of the visual side of “Forgotten Path”. I couldn’t give you any more info even if I wanted to, because I have zero knowledge and skills concerning the visual programs, etc. How the layout and the whole visual decisions look like - that’s the competence of Kingas. I give him the entire freedom for that and only approve (or ban, hehe) some details.
Dude, did you really find some cut & paste style in 3rd issue? Hehe, well, at least I don’t consider it as such. As stated before, the zine is prepared and designed in professional way as well, no old-school preparation methods. Though, of course, I don’t have anything against them, but this is not the way I choose.
Concerning the content of the 3rd issue, it included interviews with Shining [Swe], Loits [Est], Bestial Raids [Pol], “Antichrist/Dead Center Prods.” [Ukr], Enslaved [Nor], Luctus [Ltu], Keep of Kalessin [Nor], Graveland [Pol], Code [Gbr/Nor], Empty [Esp], “Supremacy Through Intolerance” [Ger], Strix [Ita], Animus Mortis [Chi], Teloch [Fin] and Lebensessenz [Bra]. A special thing about these interviews is that a large part of them were done “live”, i.e. through a direct talk with the band. Such way of interviewing gives more flexibility for the entire dialog as you can immediately react to the answers, etc. On the other hand, from that time I decided to never use this method again (at least not for the zine), cause in the final result you get more... em, common interview? They actually seem to be more appropriate for the radio shows or mainstream media, but for the underground printed zine I prefer standard way of communication - emails or snail-mail. This gives more time to prepare comprehensive and good answers.
By the way, Lebensessenz is probably the first non-Metal act, which was conducted for our publication. It’s a one man project, hailing from Brazil, which performs Neo-Classical piano music. The person behind it, Newton Schner Jr., has been the member of several Black Metal bands in the past, but now concentrates on Lebensessenz only. If you haven’t heard this art yet, go check it. The lovers of dramatic, melancholic and sad music should adore it!

Do you have contacts with Hungarian distros? Do you know Hungarian bands? Are you interested in making an interview with a Hungarian band for “Forgotten Path”? Did you like the demo of Kuth? I will send you some more Hungarian material.
Actually, my only contact in Hungary is with “Neverheard Distro”, hehe. Kuth members were quite surprised about that fact and gave me some recommendations, which I had used in the past as well. The biggest problem with distros/mail-orders is that they are not able to sell many zines/magazines today, that’s why they reject such possibilities at all. Those 3-4 labels from Hungary that I tried to contact were exactly such cases. So that’s why we do not have an official distributor in Hungary. Hopefully, if there’s the demand for it, we can work something out of it in the nearest future, I believe.
Concerning the bands, of course I know a lot of them! Though if you ask me (and you actually do ask, hehe), my most favourite act is still Sear Bliss, probably the best known Hungarian Black Metal band these days. On the other hand, there’s also a nice bunch of less known hordes that got my attention. First of all, it’s Dunkelheit (uuu, what a terrible name, actually, hehe) and Necroratory are two bands that have my sincere fascination and I strongly consider interviewing one of them in the nearest future. And Taranis, Veér, Vérzivatar, Ignominious, Karst, Mystagog, Neokhrome are only a few names that have released some good stuff in recent years.
That Kuth tape was not that bad. On the other hand, I didn’t find it too much intriguing as well. But I’m really interested what the future might bring for this project.

The fourth issue was released in November 2012. Every issue comes out during winter or fall - is this a conception? Enlist the content of this issue and tell us everything important!
Yes, you’re correct here - the 4th issue was released in November 2012, and since then the release time of each new issue is the month of November. You can call it as the conception, if you wish. Why November? Cause it’s the most beautiful and melancholic time of the year. At the same time, it’s one of the darkest periods of the cycle. It is also my personal month as well. And the fact that the scene in autumn and winter is the most active is also not of the lowest importance... Besides, it’s much easier to work on the zine when you have set such kind of the deadline for the release.
The 4th issue had interviews with Cult of Erinyes [Bel], Phlegein [Fin], Balmog [Esp], Warthane [Rsa], Wodensthrone [Gbr], A Winter Lost [Can], Lunar Aurora [Ger], “Soleil Tryste Zine” [Ger], Adamus Exul [Aus], “Dunkelheit Produktionen” [Ger], Skon [Svk], Lord Beezanborgh (ex-Rex Satanachia) [Den], Celestia [Fra], Amžius [Ltu], Pseudogod [Rus] and Beastcraft [Nor]. For many reasons this was a really special edition for me and I still consider it as one of the best issues we have made so far. It also had many “first times” while preparing it. For the first time we used a special cover for it, which was drawn by my beloved wife Axioma, who gives her sincere support for what I’m doing with “Forgotten Path”. Second, this was probably the first issue, where all interviewed bands replied and none was left behind the board (or none ripped us off, hehe). Third, it was the first time that I tried to write an article (and not standard question-answer interview) and chose to give a small overview over the young Black Metal generation of Poland (illustrating it with the quotations from mini-interviews with Morowe/Furia, Oremus, Noctis and Morkr). Finally, I strongly believe that the 4th issue was a huge step forward considering the level of the content. We started paying more and more attention towards the ideological side of the bands. We also set a thinner frame for the bands that we choose to interview. So considering all these facts into account, the 4th issue was definitely above all prior issues and had been set as the turning point for the future activity and standards as well.
Ah, and yes, after we released that 4th issue, I was able to organise an effective web of distribution channels. I understand that this fact is not so much important for the readers, but for me, as for the editor of the zine, this is the result of really hard work, that is finally paying its dividends.

Do you often get together with the crew to talk about the magazine and have a drink? The crew only stands for the magazine, or is that a friendship? Do you often go to gigs together or whatnot? What’s your opinion about alcohol? Do you often drink or you live an alcohol-free life? What do you think of drugs?
I wouldn’t say that we meet and greet with the crew that often. Mostly it happens during some concerts or festivals here in Lithuania. On the other hand, there are some people who help me and whom I have never met in life, hehe. It’s the 21st century, people come and go easily without borders, so some of our crew members live in Australia, some in United Kingdom, etc. But yeah, basically we meet during concerts and similar stuff.
No, I’m not alcohol-free, but probably have already drunk my part of beer during my studies time, hehe. Though of course, I always considered having beer as some kind of the ritual, and not only for the purpose of having some booze. I still enjoy some bottles of my favourite Czech dark beer from time to time. And sure, to have some cheers with old buddies during some concerts is almost a must!
On the other hand, I’m actually a pretty active ice hockey player (surprise surprise...) on amateur level, so alcohol weekends are not something that I enjoy much, hehe. Well, it’s not the weekends that you don’t like, but Mondays, isn’t it? Besides, I consider it a natural thing that with time your demand for alcohol and clear head is increasing. Sure, it might be opposite as well, but each person decides it on his own. I personally usually prefer healthy morning than evening parties, but yeah, there are times when the second option is more welcome, hehe.
I have never tried drugs and do not have any demand for them, at least for the moment. Each personally has to choose to like them or not, to use them or not. It’s up to each to decide and that’s all that matters. However, we have a fantastic idea with my wife - when the time comes and we decide that it’s enough living on this earth, we will definitely pour some serious drugs inside us and take a joyride with our car without switching the lights on, hehe. Should be heck of an adventure (probably the last one, hehe)!

And here comes the latest issue, #5. Let me congratulate for that! This time, just as the former issue, you gathered a huge variety of bands. I will now ask you for the fifth time to talk about the issue.
I have to give an entire content here, haven’t I? Hehe, okay, here is the list of interviewed bands: Christicide [Fra], Demonic Slaughter [Pol], Eternity [Ger], Division [Ltu], Monstraat [Swe], “Paragon Records” [Usa], Nyksta [Ltu], Gone Postal [Isl], Svartidauði [Isl], “Call to the Infernal Hordes Zine” [Crc], Rotting Christ [Gre], Lux Divina [Esp], Selbst [Ven], Patria [Bra], Sanctophoby [Ltu], Entartung [Ger] and Pact [Usa]. The special thing for me with the 5th issue is the fact that it had the best possible line-up of the bands, I believe. These are mostly the hordes that I liked the most at that time (and still love them very much). Besides, interviews with Christicide and Lux Divina are two of the best inties that we have ever made - an absolute pleasure for your eyes and brain! And both bands are extremely good - you must check them if still hadn’t done it. The last album of Christicide, “Upheaval of the Soul”, is definitely among my top-5 Black Metal albums of all time... Unfortunately, the band decided to split-up several months ago, but they will be playing their last show in “Wolf Throne Festival” in Paris next spring, and I will do my best to not miss this action...
It was also our first issue, which featured more than one Lithuanian band. We chose to wider our attitude towards it, ‘cause usually underground zines pay a lot of attention to local bands, what is rather fair, I would say. However, I can’t agree with you that this issue “gathered a huge variety of bands”. On contrary, I believe this is the straightest direction of bands that we chose (with some exceptions, of course). Sure, their playing genres differ as well as ideas do, but this is also the line-up, which was able to give an extremely strong opinion on their ideological aspects. And that is the most important thing!
By the way, two interviews - Monstraat and Rotting Christ - were actually done by Heiko, the editor of German “Iut de Asken” zine. We have collaborated for our 3rd issue as well, where I had the possibility to print English versions of Graveland and Loits interviews. I consider Heiko as the person, who prepares incredibly good and detailed interviews and it is/was definitely an honour to use this material in “Forgotten Path”. However, I’m not sure if we will continue the same way in the future. First, Heiko is a very busy person and I don’t know his actual plans with his zine. And second, I still want to dedicate more space to my personally chosen bands. But you never know what the future can bring...

For the first three issues, the covers were more traditional ones, with nature like dark woods and so. After the third issue, you began to deal with more artistic ones. Although I think that has some more serious ideological background I liked the older ones.
Yes, you are correct here as well. The cover of our 1st issue probably was the best and most realistic one describing the idea of “forgotten path”. However, on the next two issues I wanted to have something more related with nature, maybe a little bit more mysterious as well. On one hand I thought that those “standard” nature photos might be a little bit banal. But one comrade of mine once told me that “no, it is definitely not banal when Black Metal bands take photos in the forests”, and he was damn right!
From the 4th issue my wife suggested me to use drawn pictures for the cover, which should spread much deeper idea inside and won’t be so direct in meaning. I liked that, especially when she agreed on taking the entire responsibility on the drawings, hehe. So that’s how the covers of issue 4# and 5# were born. I’m not sure, if you are able to get the whole concept behind those drawings, but that’s the case - look and think deeper! Each fragment, each detail has its own meaning... And at the moment I do not have any ideas of changing the author of the cover picture, actually.

Can we expect the sixth issue for Nov. 2014? Did you start the work? Can you tell us something about that?
Of course, the 6th issue will be released next month, i.e. in November, 2014. The entire content is prepared and already passed to the layout maker, and I hope he has started his work as well.
I’m afraid this might be the thickest issue we have ever prepared... We will have not less than 23 interviews, actually. I can’t tell the exact number, cause several bands still haven’t replied to me. Actually, this is almost the only problem that I have faced again - some bands decided not to answer our questions, even if they sincerely agreed on that. Damn, I really hate that! On one hand, I can easily understand them - yeah, not the right mood for answering, busy schedule with live shows, and deadlines, etc. But come on - you are always told about the time you will have to answer and other details before conducting the interview, so be clever enough and either deny the request or just keep your word. I tell you - this is the easiest way to shit your reputation in the eyes of the fans. When one of your favourite bands behaves like this, believe me, my attitude will never be the same on them...
Returning to the new issue, as always, it will be printed in 500 copies and spread all around the world. Most probably the zine is already released when you’re reading these lines, so there’s no point to not announce the line-up: Nivlhel [Swe], Anthro Halaust [Ukr], Pestilential Shadows [Aus], Heresiarch Seminary/Drunemeton [Rus], “Oaken Throne Zine” [Usa], Gorrch [Ita], Necrohell [Gre], Thorybos [Ger], Graveborne [Fin], Saligia [Nor], Inthyflesh [Por], Serpents Lair [Den], Popravčí Vrch [Cze], Zargof [Bra], “Grom Records” [Ser], Slidhr [Irl], Grave Miasma [Gbr], Norman Shores [Fra] A.M.S.G. [Can], Darkened Nocturn Slaughtercult [Ger], and three Lithuanian bands - Devlsy, Inquisitor and Living Altar. Besides, this time I prepared three special articles: on post invasion to Black Metal, on Niklas Kvarforth’s “evolution”, and a special report on the best albums from Greece in recent years. And I’m even not mentioning hundreds of reviews and reports. You definitely will find something to read here, to say the least.
P.S.: today (the 6th of November, 2014), when I’m putting the finishing touches on this interview, all the details of the new issue are clear: 23 interviews, 134 pages of Black Metal. The entire content of the zine will be heading to the printing house next week!

Under the name “Forgotten Path” you run a label as well. So far the label has two releases - two Lithuanian bands. Do you only release for Lithuanian bands or was that unintentional? Releasing a material is one thing, but then comes the hard part: promoting and distributing. Do you have any support for that kind of work? Do you often go to gigs as a distributor?
Starting of “Forgotten Path Records” was rather an unintentional move. At that time I wanted to make a bigger contribution to the scene, and my friends from Inquisitor were getting ready to present their debut album. So we decided to combine our effort and make it happen. Actually, my main aim to release audio stuff was to promote those bands as much as I could. I never cared about the distribution too much and probably could do better in this field. However, as this was my first try with audio releases, I gained much new experience in this field as well.
My mail-order is not something that I pay much attention to. I’m also not trying to expand it, cause again it serves only for one purpose - to gain some cash for covering printing costs of the zine. Besides, the only field that maybe I put a little bit more effort to is to gather as much printed zines in one place as possible. It’s not that I’m browsing or looking for new editions every day, but if there’s a possibility, I always try to trade with other editors. On the other hand, I believe you know it too - the demand for printed material is rather low these days.
Based on the reasons I gave in previous paragraph, I rarely go to concerts as a distributor. Actually, I’ve done that only twice, mostly when good opportunities arose after releasing the new issues of the zine.

The first release was Inquisitor’s first album „The Quantum Theory of Id”. Tell us about this band and every important aspect! The band’s name is a bit confusing I think, under this name I expect some bestial Black/Death Metal.
First what you have to know about Inquisitor is that, in my opinion, this is one of the most professional Metal acts in Lithuania. I’m definitely not the fan number one of theirs, but I totally respect and like the way they care about their activity and the process how they plan and do everything. That’s why they earn my total respect and support.
Yeah, Noktu from “Drakkar Productions” have told me once, that he will never release a band with such a name, hehe. On the other hand, go on and read interview with Inquisitor in our 6th issue, and you will have all the answers about the band title.
Concerning the music, it’s hard to describe their style. It’s something between Progressive and Avant-garde Black Metal, something in the vein of later Emperor, but with less keyboard parts, I would say. Some people say that they sound modern. Well, why not? I can’t argue with that and actually don’t want to as long as the music of Inquisitor sounds really strong and interesting. I don’t think you will like the band if you are keen on some old-school Thrash or Black Metal. But if you are not afraid of experiments and are looking for something new and deeper ideas in Black Metal - you might give them a try.

The next material was released three years later, during the beginning of 2013. Dark Ravage’s second album „The Fall of Inner Sanctum”. Tell us about the band and the full-length.
Dark Ravage is band, where I played bass guitar at that time. And as I’m no longer in the band, I don’t want to talk about it too much, hehe.
Generally, that album was being matured for too long. Probably the songs for this release were created in six months or so, but we had many problems with the guitar player changes and personally it soaked me out. It took around 3-4 years to make that happen (i.e. to release the album). When you rehearse the same tracks for so long, even the best tracks become boring...
Basically, we released this album for the same purpose - to make the promotion on ourselves and not waste too much time on looking for other labels (that might be difficult even considering the huge amount of “labels” circulating around...) to release it. In general, I don’t think it would be good to talk about the music of the album from my side. Though someone interested in traditional and rather primitive Black Metal with some depressed mode, might actually enjoy it.

Tell us about your plans with the label! Do you have any other album coming? Is that financially hard to work with the label and the magazine at the same time? Do you run the label alone or have you got any help?
Well, one thing should be clear - “Forgotten Path Magazine” is the main and only priority of my activity. I put all effort and financial resources to it. For that reason I don’t have any plans for audio releases, etc. Yeah, if I were rich, hehe, and could put much more money into the activity of record label, I believe I’d love to release more albums, especially on tape format. But as I’ve said - releasing the printed zine is my only aim.
On the other hand, totally unexpectedly and surprisingly, we will present the new album of Inquisitor under the banner of “Forgotten Path Records” in several upcoming months (on the 1st of December, 2014, to be precise), hehe. The guys asked me about the possible collaboration again and I couldn’t say “no”. I believe that the sophomore album will be much more successful and I’ll do my best to give it a chance for the proper response. The album is called “Clinamen-Episteme” and will be released in limited edition digipak format.

Tell us about the Lithuanian underground scene! What do you think of that scene? Are there many opportunities? Is there any solidarity within the scene? Does the mainstream media deal with the underground? Which bands or labels are worth for keeping updated?
Oh man, this is a really difficult question, hehe. In general, I don’t think that the situation here differs a lot from other European countries. Again, considering our small population, the scene is rather small as well. As each country, we have good bands, as well as shitty ones. Maybe for the past several years the tendency was that there started appearing more varied bands considering the genre they play. Though many people usually think that Black and Death Metal dominate here, but the amount of audience during concerts shows that such assumption is wrong, hehe.
In general, the situation has changed during several pats years. The tendency is that the number of concerts is increasing. On one hand, this gives the possibility to see more bands and to choose where to go to (and not wait for a famous band for a year or two). On the other hand, this also makes our audience similar to Western society - the more often you go to concerts, the more common it becomes and after some time you get bored of those never-ending parties. You get the idea? Actually, Lithuanian metalheads were always considered as very sincere and the ones who can give an extremely good and stormy support, but when you have at least two concerts per week, it is natural that people will choose where and when to go. This is not only related with concerts and bands themselves, but also with the economic situation of this segment as well.
So, as I’ve mentioned, the amount of concerts increased. We also have two big and rather famous festivals in this region - “Kilkim Žaibu” and “Devilstone Open Air”. The first one is the oldest Metal open air in Lithuania and is oriented towards Folk/Pagan/Black Metal bands mostly, though recently has broaden its frames as well. “Devilstone” is not as old and is also covering some Rock genre as well. Besides, we also have at least 2-4 smaller fests in summer, and some other, more popular and mainstream fests are also keen on taking some Metal oriented bands to their ranks. So concerning the festivals, we probably can’t ask anything more. Besides, Lithuanian metalheads like to travel to foreign festivals too.
The solidarity... I’m not sure, it is definitely not the same as it was in the beginning of 90s. I would also consider that people have become more rational these days and are competent enough to separate shit from gold. 21st century gives so many possibilities that you do not have to shit your pants each time you find a new bands, etc. Again, you have an option to choose what you like or dislike, where to go and what to skip. Judging from such point, probably the solidarity is not as strong as some of us would love it to be. On the other hand, I believe this is a natural process for the entire society.
Considering the bands, each country has to offer something interesting, don’t you think? I strongly believe that if you call yourself a metalhead, such names from the past like Poccolus (Pagan Black Metal), Zpoan Vtenz (Folk Pagan Metal), Regredior (Death Metal), Ghostorm (Death Metal) or Anubi (Avant-garde Black Metal) is a must to know! These were names from the golden era of Lithuanian Metal. Besides, they were definitely extraordinary bands. Don’t forget the fact that “Forgotten Path” is mostly Black Metal oriented publication, so that’s why I pay most of my attention to this genre, hehe. By the way, did you know that Lithuania was officially the last Pagan country in Europe? I’m not sure if that’s the reason, but in the middle of 90s the movement of Pagan Black Metal was really very strong here and “Dangus Productions” label with its chief Ugnius Liogė paid really a huge role for that.
Today Lithuanian scene is probably going through the same trends as all the other countries do as well. Yes, we have some old bands who are still active and such names as Nahash (Occult Black Metal - a must!!!), Dissimulation (Thrash/Black Metal), Obtest (Pagan Heavy Metal) or Katedra (Thrash Metal) are still important in their shoes. On the other hand, the younger generation is definitely not lazy either. Luctus (Black Metal) is probably the most active and best known band these days. Nyksta, who is often described as Urban Black Metal (or Post-Black Metal) is probably the most promising band here, as they really do know what they want to say and don’t put themselves in any frames. Some young blood was spit into the fire of Thrash Metal recently with such names as Phrenetix (with female as the leader) and Confession. In general, as I have mentioned, new names constantly appear. Some of them play some standard or old-school genres, like Living Altar (Bestial Black/Death Metal), Amžius (Black Metal), while others are strongly influenced by fashion trends, like Exile into Suffery (Technical Death Metal/Metalcore; but they are really good!), NRCSSST (Post-DSBM), Au-Dessus (Post-Black Metal), and many others...
But yeah, if you still haven’t found any names here, you definitely have missed something, hehe.

Thanks for the answers; I wish you all the best! The last words are up to you!
Thanks and goodnight, hehe.
Attila, first of all, I like answering interviews no less than arranging them as well. To conduct it for your precious zine - that’s a double pleasure. So thanks a lot for this opportunity!
I hope you will continue your work with printed zines for many years to come. And those interested in “Forgotten Path”, can write to me at forgotten.path.mag@gmail.com or can check our website at www.forgotten-path.lt for more info (or follow us on www.facebook.com/forgotten.path.mag; yeah yeah, I know what you’re thinking at the moment - for a very long time I was also strongly against online resources, but Facebook in particular gives very good options of promotion...).


Interview by Dr. A.