Thy Darkened Shade (Gre) interview


Welcome on the pages of Svbterranean Tenebris. 1999 was an infernal year as 999 is the inverted 666. Did you think that Thy Darkened Shade will be on this highway when you created the band? Did you try to play in any other band before?
I always had the urge to create. The creativity spark lies within me as long as I can remember. Therefore, even if I wasn't about to release any music I would have to compose for my own self and that was something I did before releasing anything as well. To completely answer your question Thy Darkened Shade’s energy for me lies outside the borders of this world and it is not limited in causal laws. Yes, I was playing with a classic heavy metal band when younger and had a neofolk band as well. I also, contributed to various metal bands. I have plenty of music composed therefore one day something else will materialize in addition to my black metal bands.



First revelation was “Eternvs Mos, Nex Ritus” LP in 2012. What did you do in those 13 years since birth? Were there any demo or anything else before?
I’ve recorded demos but I wasn't satisfied with the results. Something was missing and as soon as I found the missing spiritual element I started releasing music. I now understand when I was younger I wasn't able to fully grasp the spiritual drive that made me who I am. The old me is dead and gone long ago.

How it was created your contract with World Terror Committee? Are you satisfied with their work on promotion, support...etc?
I sent them our first album fully mastered, which they liked alot and therefore, we collaborated at once. It is an honor for me to be on WTC. It is an underground label that cares and totally supports the bands and the message of uncompromising radical art. It is rare in this era to see people who can understand and respect the vision of a true black metal band. I am totally satisfied and proud of our collaboration.

“Eternvs Mos, Nex Ritus” was a bit Thrashier than your present music do you agree?
You are totally right and that was the aim of that album; to combine 80’s thrash/black fanaticism with 90’s/00’s devotion.

What would you like to express with the name 'Thy Darkened Shade'? Is it connected with death as the title of your first LP?
Many explanations can apply to the name of the band. I will disclose one and I will let the rest of them be judged according to the eye of the beholder. Thy Darkened Shade is the shadow Self or the daemon Self or the higher Self; the one we meet when we reach Thagirion. This is one of the numerous aspects that the name stands for.



According to my information, the band consists only two members, is it true? Can you describe the band members?
The identities of the band members do not really matter; what counts is the message that we aim to convey.

Please tell me something about live shows. How often do you play any gig? Do you use any special effect on you shows? Do you do a lot of rehearsals before you rise up on the stage?
It really depends, I don't want us to overdo it with live performances. We are always very well rehearsed before our live appearances. We summon the void so no special effects are necessary.

Greek scene was special in the sound of Black Metal with bands like Necromantia or Rotting Christ and nowadays has become stronger and stronger with great bands like: Thy Darkened Shade; Devathorn or Acherontas. How do you see the Hellenic scene? Which bands would you like to recommend to the readers?
The Hellenic scene has always been a great one. I grew up with the 90’s Hellenic black metal bands and I still believe Hellas has a lot of great music to offer. My favorite band from my country is Necromantia. These days I am listening a lot to Order of the Ebon Hand , Ravencult and a speed metal band called Sacral Rage. But there are numerous great bands from different genres as well.

Black Metal in its true form is a way to spread Satanic, occult knowledge and wisdom, even though a lot of bands call themselves as Black Metal without anything black. What is your opinion about those bands? How do you see the different of a true or a false Black Metal band?
This holy genre is by definition Satanic. Other kind of concepts may accompany good or bad music but a black metal album needs to be Satanic.
Otherwise, it is not a black metal album. A lot of thought spent on these issues but in the end all I care about is starring within; doing my own work without obstructions and contributing to the genre that I view as holy. People will always do whatever they want no matter what anyone says. Good bands will prevail while fake ones will perish in flames or they become nothing more than a part of the degenerate mainstream market.



Back to your releases...next chapter was in 2014 with the album entitled “Liber Lvcifer 1: Khem Sedjet”. The music on that album was more more magnificent with its bass line and complexity. A new way of darkness. How do you remember that album? Can you tell me a bit more about it? How long have you been in studio?
I don’t really like explaining a procedure that is sacred and holy to me. Of course, Liber Lvcifer I made us stronger and closer to the source and I am really proud of how the album turn out. To this day, I wouldn't have changed anything from the sound, to the tracks, lyrics and artwork. Can’t really remember how long it took us to record it. But I always do a detailed pre-production before the recording of the actual album and this procedure can take years. I need to be totally satisfied with our releases so I take as much time as I need.

Since “Liber Lvcifer” you released only three split releases with bands like Abigor; Nightbringer; Mortuus and Chaos Invocation. Can you tell me a bit more about these split releases? Are you ready for the next full-length? What can the fans expect? Will be there any change?
We have released two split releases. One four-way split with our spiritual brothers Abigor, Nightbringer and Mortuus and one 7-inch with Chaos Invocation. The four way split was a collaborative work with a single aim to dive deeper into the chthonic underworlds. I believe this release can only be fully experienced when listened as a whole. For us, it was really inspirational working with those bands since we are and used to be huge listeners of their works. We learnt from the procedure and our experience towards the divine broadened.
The Chaos Invocation split is a 7-inch dedicated to Set and the master Apophis released by the mighty W.T.C. It is one of our offerings to the gods of the dark. We share similar spiritual ideals with Chaos Invocation as with everyone else that we decide to do a split release. So, it was natural for us to release / create this one as well.
The main procedure of the new album is almost done. There are a lot of different elements into it but let’s leave it here for the time being.

Looking to the title and song-titles, I think that it was a concept album based on a story that will be continue on your next album, right?
Yes, both Liber Lvcifer I and Eternvs Mos, Nex Ritvs are concept albums. The concept of Liber Lvcifer I will continue on the next album as well.

Your lyrics changed also to poetic version, even on your first album, the lyrics was stories. From where do you get inspirations to write lyrics. I think those are important as music itself, right? How do you create a song? First lyrics and then the music or there is any other way?
I get inspiration from above and below. Lyrics are very crucial and as you mentioned correctly they are as important as the music. All aspects of the arte are equally important for us. The procedure to create a song is very personal but let’s say in few words that everything starts from a sigil.

What do you think about the great mystery of Death and enigma that lies behind?
I am a worshiper of total death and demise. I envision a final destination in which acausal anti-beings reign supreme.



What do you like to doing, when you aren't in Thy Darkened Shade? Do you have side-projects too?
What I prefer doing most of the times is playing/listening/collecting music, practicing magic, studying psychology and reading books. Apart from Thy Darkened Shade I am also a permanent member of Acrimonious, a live member of Shaarimoth and I also compose various kinds of music when I have the free time. In addition to that, I sporadically mix and master albums.

Greek/Roman mythology and culture was always beyond any other culture. How can it remain upon the humanity under the flag of christian tyranny? Greek statues represent men as strong that is an exemplar and many people think that Greek men are strong. Are you in this tradition and are you playing a lot of sports?
Free spirits are liberated no matter the cosmic tyrannies. Enslavement cannot dominate the black flame. The Promethean spirit needs constant challenges from physical to mental and constant development is the only way.

You describe Thy Darkened Shade as Acausal Necrosophic Black Metal. What does it mean? Lucifer is Satan. Are you a satanist? What does Satanism mean for you?
In a few words, I am a living nexion from which acausal energy can come forth. I always aim for acausal charging while composing or performing.
It is necrosophic because it comes forth from the bloodline of Cain and black metal because it worships the true source. I am a Satanist and it means my life, my death and my resurrection in acausal forms among other sacred things.

Do you follow the evolution of underground? Are you a collector? What kind of releases do you prefer?
I am a diehard buyer and listener. I follow the underground closely and I perceive both its corruption and magnificence. I buy a lot of black metal, heavy metal and thrash metal records. But also (to name a few genres of which I collector too) I buy dark ambient, classical music, neofolk, martial industrial, dungeon synth, progressive and classic rock, darkwave, etc.

Which releases are still available? Do you have other merchandise stuff too, like shirts, pins..?
All the releases are still available apart from the limited gold vinyl editions. T-shirts and hoodies are still available via the World Terror Committee web shop. We also added to our merchandise two pin designs but they are both sold out.

What is your opinion about underground fanzines? Do you have any fave?
They are still essential for keeping the true underground alive. Ultimate favourites should be Davthvs, The Art of Necronomicon, Descent, 666 and Slayer magazine. Nowadays, my favourites are the Sinister Flame along with Bardo Methodology and Vitriol.

OK, my time is end here. Thank you for your answers. Anything else that would you like to mention here?
Thanks for the support!

The interview supposed to published at Svbterranean Tenebris fanzine, but remained unrelased 'till TOTMB #6