Do Skonu (Ukr) interview


Hails Varagian, thank you for accepting this interview to Svbterranean Tenebris. Let's start the questions with the ancestor ForestGrave. It was born in 2005 did you played anywhere else before? What was the first idea to create a Black Metal band in your area?
Greeting, and thanks for the interview. Yes, with my school friends I played in the local band Apathy. Music was a mix of thrash metal and punk rock. Something like Sodom + Grazhdanskaya Oborona. Then I heard Transilvanian Hunger and Saturn Sector (Blackdeath), and my worldview began to transform. Why Black Metal? I don’t now. I didn't choose, but the dark spirits chose me. 




Under the name ForestGrave you released more demos and also you reached the first full length in 2009, yet you changed the name to Do Skonu. What was the reason? Do Skonu is the straight continuing of ForestGrave with a new name or totally a new idea and a new band?
I played in ForestGrave with two other musicians. They have left the band later and therefore everything turned into a one man project. I ended ForestGrave because I ceased to feel the spiritual connection with this project and stopped taking seriously everything that I have created under that name. I did nothing, just walked through the woods and drank. But in my head came the word Do Skonu. I think it was a sign. DO SKONU is not a continuation of ForestGrave and they have nothing in common. The old band lies completely broken now, physically and spiritually.

From the very beginning you use Russian language and Cyrillic letters on your releases except on 2012 full length “Cold Streams Of Death”. Using of your mother language is the caring of your traditions or there is any other thing?
Actually, on the album "Cold Streams of Death" there should also have been Russian letters, but… Anyway, yes, this is caring about traditions. My native language is Russian. This is the only way I can talk about my thoughts.


The name Do Skonu sounds mysterious to any foreign people and the band itself also a bit mysterious even in the underground scene. Are you consciously don't search for the bigger reputation or it's the cause of low support for the band?
I compose music and study spiritual practices. I don't have time to communication on Facebook or something like that. 

Since 2013 EP “Змеиный круг “are you signed to Thou Shalt Kill! Records. Are you satisfied with their work?
Completely! Greg is my friend and he is a real professional. Good promotion, when album or EP sold out in just a couple of months.

Your music is raw and dark as shall to be a Black Metal band, even Black Metal became a trend in mid 90's and diluted. What is your opinion about those childish, playing for girls bands that want to be very dark and evil, but just ridiculous?
Hm, I like some albums from the 90s. But I try to separate the creation from the creator. 

Let me know something about the man behind Do Skonu. What kind of music do you prefer beside Black Metal? What do you like to doing in your free-time?
My free time passes in silence.

From where do you get your inspirations to making music and writing lyrics?
It's a secret. If I tell you, my inspiration will go to another musician.


Russia and Ukraine produced a lot of great bands through the years. I really enjoy Ingrian and Stavropol scene. With whom are you in contact? Which band would you recommend to the readers?
I communicate with many groups. So let's start. I recommend: Blackdeath, VTTA, Uldvalir, SS-18, Lashblood, Deathmoor, Baal Zebuth, Sickrites, Psalm 666, Soli Diaboli Gloria, Ithdabquth Qliphoth, Storming Darkness, Meti Bhuvah, Goatpsalm and Karna (not BM), Ill Omened, Old Wainds, Mor, Nav` and more more from Russian. From Ukraine – Kaosophia and Shadows Ground, and Belarusian all bands that are members of Nemarach clan (Pestilentia, Niezgal, Latanu, Deofel and etc.) 

What do you know about Hungary? Do you like our bands? Which one?
I know very little, therefore, I can not say anything specifically. About band, I know only Tormentor and Sear Bliss.

Faith is important in Black Metal. What is that Do Skonu stands for?
Faith that death is only the beginning.

As I know the band consists of only you and D.Kim drummer since 2012. Always you use session members on your live shows? Do you plan to invite any full time members in the near future?
D. Kim is not a member of the DS. He is a session drummer who helps me in the studio. I can do everything myself. I do not need members (guitarist or bassist) in the studio.

Do Skonu's newest release was the 2016 full length “Ад” that means Hell but the word looks like AO that means Alpha and Omega. It was a conscious decision or just my eyes plays with a game with me?
Unfortunately yes, you thought.


How do you feel about death? Do you faith in any afterlife or death is the end of everything?
Yes, after death the general server throws our souls to a new IP-address.

Russia or with old name Soviet union shows a grim, cold and dark face to the world, with things like disciplined military, Chernobyl....etc. It's just a dark side the centuries want to be shows or the situation is really grim?
Chernobyl is located in Ukraine. This is a different country and the atmosphere here is different, not like in Russia.

Please tell me something about your live shows. How often can you play on live shows? Do you prefer festivals or clubs?  Do you use any special accessories on stage? What about cover songs?
I do not like concerts. Therefore DS gives very few live performances. Anyway, the sound of the albums is sacred to me. And concerts only spoil everything.

Modern people moved away from real nature and became the servant of world-order using, eating, drinking, that advertisements says. Also migration from south countries shows a future of unified nation, that deny and forget roots. How do you see your future and what is your opinion about these things?
Buy many weapons and go to live in a forest hut.

When do you plan to release any new stuff? Do you have any other stuffs to sell? (I mean shirts, pins,,,etc.)
It's too early to talk about a new material. Yes, the label releases t-shirts, but I'm not interested in that much. It's a fetish, and he takes a free place. But, this is important for the fans and thanks them for their support!

Ok Varagian, thank you for your time and answers. If I forget something, just mention here.
Thanks to you and be honest!

Feel free to end this interview with words...
Climb on the peaks of highest mountains and continue their ascent.

The interview supposed to published on Svbterranean Tenebris fanzine, but remained unrelased 'till TOTMB #6